(CNN) -- The Coast Guard is responding to a distress call from a ship that is part of the popular culture. The HMS Bounty, a tall ship built for the 1962 movie "Mutiny on the Bounty," is taking on water off the coast of North Carolina - about 160 miles from the center of Hurricane Sandy. The Coast Guard says it has "diminished search and rescue capabilities due to the storm." Seventeen people are on board.
Latest KTXS Video
Would you like to continue watching?
- Controversial restaurant concept may replace Carino's on Buffalo Gap in Abilene
- Carino's closing Abilene restaurant
- Texas school principal who makes nearly $112,000 annually accused of shoplifting
- IMPORTANT: Negotiations underway with DISH to continue carrying KTXS programming
- Anthony Domol: Drastic weather changes looming