(CNN) -- U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel will give up a portion of his salary, a decision prompted by the mandatory federal budget, Pentagon press secretary George Little said Tuesday. The amount would be the part of the salary that would have been cut if he had been subject to the same work furlough as thousands of department personnel. Hagel, who earns $199,700 annually and is not subject to the furlough, will write a check to the Treasury for up to 14 days of salary, Little said.
Latest KTXS Video
Would you like to continue watching?
- UPDATED: Complete list of school closings, delays for Abilene, the Big Country
- Controversial restaurant concept may replace Carino's on Buffalo Gap in Abilene
- American teacher slain in Libya
- No charges for FSU quarterback Jameis Winston
- Texas school principal who makes nearly $112,000 annually accused of shoplifting