WIMBERLEY, Texas (SBG) - A 26-year-old man is dead after getting in a shootout with Hays County Sheriff's Office deputies following an alleged burglary early Friday morning.
At about 3:45 a.m., the sheriff's office got a call about a man with a gun possibly breaking into Jean's Antiques on Spoke Hollow Road in Wimberley. When deputies arrived, someone began shooting at them, hitting patrol vehicles and wounding Hays County Deputy Benjamin Gieselman.
Deputies returned fire and the suspect ran into a nearby wooded area where he was found deceased. The suspect was identified as Rocky Miles West, 26, of Wimberley. No word if West's wounds were self-inflicted or if they were the result of shots fired from the deputies.
Gieselman, 28, a three-year veteran with the Hays County Sheriff’s Office, suffered non-life threatening injuries to his legs and upper body. He was flown to an Austin area hospital where he is being treated. No injuries were reported to the other deputies involved.
West had an extensive criminal history and his last arrest was in January of 2017 for a family violence charge of assault with bodily injury.
- Snow in Abilene & the Big Country for Christmas? Maybe, maybe not
- Salvation Army needs your help this holiday season
- Taylor County Sheriff's Office behind the wheel for simulator training
- Indictment: Abilene man rubbed genitals on child's leg
- Indictment: Man beaten with baseball bat during robbery
- Abilene teenager indicted for pair of violent robberies
- Man arrested in Brownwood's largest meth bust gets indicted
- City of Early declines using taxpayer funds to pay for lobbyist
- Thousands of toys and dollars collected at Brownwood toy drive
- Brownwood approves retaining a lobbyist after 2 people speak up against it
- Ranger College releases settlement with former professor over sexual harassment allegations
- Brown County veteran being sued by hospital for unpaid fees
- Clyde man indicted for sexual assault
- Dallas Cowboys apologize to Coleman family for mistreatment of their handicapped daughter
- Big County couple says AT&T Stadium mistreated their handicapped daughter
- 1 killed, 2 injured in I-20 crash near Colorado City
- After 5-1 school board vote, Chris Hagler's contract renewed with Anson
- Stamford's James Washington claims Biletnikoff Award as nation's best receiver