SNYDER, Texas - A train depot that was built when Howard Taft was president is being reduced to rubble.
After a lengthy battle to save the Santa Fe Depot, crews are tearing it down. Burlington Northern Railroad said the 106-year-old building posed a safety risk.
The Scurry County Historical Commission -- which fought for five years to save the depot -- was close to selling it to preservationist in Austin. But he backed out because moving it would have required the building to be cut into eight pieces and the structure would not have withstood the trip.
The depot was built in 1911 and designed by Louis Curtis, a well-known Kansas City architect. Curtis built four Santa Fe Railroad stations. The one in Lubbock burned down. Another in Sweetwater was demolished. The one in Post has been rehabilitated.
- Mayor Williams' former campaign manager running for Abilene City Council
- Ex-Brownwood High soccer coach accused of having sex with student pleads guilty, sentenced
- Brownwood fugitive declines extradition for homicide-related charges
- 2 held in shooting death of North Texas boy, 5, brother hurt
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Near normal temperatures Wednesday
- Donors step up for Abilene Salvation Army ahead of Thanksgiving
- Love and Care Ministries unloads 13 trailers of donated items
- Bicyclist injured after hitting vehicle in north Abilene
- Abilene police may use DNA-based composites to solve crimes
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Police continuing search for Abilene car chase suspect
- Brownwood woman arrested on homicide-related warrant out of Missouri
- Chantay Blankinship known at club for kind, endearing soul
- Balloon release held to celebrate Chantay Blankinship's birthday
- UPDATE: 911 'back up and running' in Brown County
- Blankinship's family says they can begin healing after suspect's arrest
- Pastor describes Ryan Riggs' murder confession at Brownwood church
- Goldsboro man, 71, charged with murder at Big Country ranch south of Abilene
- Coleman County house a total loss after weekend fire
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country
- 106-year-old train depot in Snyder torn down