ABILENE, Texas - Last call has officially been extended for Guitars & Cadillacs and The Ugly Lime Tequila Bar in Abilene.
Back in May, Abilene City Council approved a proposal to allow bars to serve alcohol until 2 a.m.
Beginning October 1, bars could apply for the late hours permit.
The owner of Guitars & Cadillacs and The Ugly Lime Tequila Bar wasted no time and applied for the permit on October 1.
"We got the good news on Wednesday and the owner called me and told me, 'Hey we're going to stay open, we got the permit, we're good to go,'" said Guitars & Cadillacs General Manager Scott Goldsby. "I'm really happy about it. I mean, yes it’s more [work] time but, you know, it gives people a chance to have more time to have fun."
Goldsby said they're expecting a large crowd Thursday night when they test out the extended hours. However, if the crowd dies down early, Goldsby said they can choose to close Guitars & Cadillacs and The Ugly Lime before 2 a.m.
"If everybody leaves at midnight and nobody is here, we're going to go ahead and close," Goldsby said.
The city said eight other bars and restaurants in town have applied for the permit, including Hooters, and The Zone Grill & Bar.
Goldsby said Guitars & Cadillacs will most likely stay open later Thursday through Saturday, but not on Wednesdays. Since they will be open later, they plan to hire more workers and security.
- Over 90 Abilene streets receive worst possible condition rating
- Abilene man reportedly bound with tape, forced into trunk at apartment complex
- Abilene man arrested for pointing gun at family, firing, fighting with police
- Judge to decide on motion to toss evidence in Niblo murder case
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- BBB warns of fraudulent shopping sites during Holiday season
- Brownwood fugitive declines extradition for homicide-related charges
- Ex-Brownwood High soccer coach accused of having sex with student pleads guilty, sentenced
- Brownwood woman arrested on homicide-related warrant out of Missouri
- Chantay Blankinship known at club for kind, endearing soul
- Balloon release held to celebrate Chantay Blankinship's birthday
- UPDATE: 911 'back up and running' in Brown County
- Warrant: Murder suspect 'drunk' when he drove over victim at Taylor County ranch
- Goldsboro man, 71, charged with murder at Big Country ranch south of Abilene
- Coleman County house a total loss after weekend fire
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country