SAN ANGELO, Texas - A grand jury in Tom Green County has indicted four of the five people accused in the kidnapping and murder of 41-year-old Eric Torrez of Abilene.
Torrez was last seen July 21. His body was found Aug. 4 near Barnhart. According to the autopsy, he died from a single gunshot wound to the head.
Stephen Jennings, 34, of San Angelo, the husband of Torrez’ ex-girlfriend, was indicted for capital murder, aggravated kidnapping and tampering with a corpse.
His father, Garry Lynn Jennings, 60, of Glenn Heights, was indicted for murder, aggravated kidnapping and tampering with a corpse.
David Navarro, 42, of San Angelo, was indicted for capital murder and aggravated kidnapping.
Angella Rebecca Wray, 33, of San Angelo, was indicted for aggravated kidnapping and engaging in organized crime.
MUGSHOTS --> http://www.ktxs.com/602134710
According to court documents, Stephen asked Torrez to bid on a construction job at the Jennings’ home as “ploy to lure” him of out Abilene so Kristen could take the 4-year-old daughter she had with Torrez.
That same day, Abilene police say Kristen forced her way into Torrez’s home and confronted his mother, Delores Cortez. According to a court document, they argued about the little girl. During the argument, Jennings pushed Cortez to the floor and “forcibly took” her daughter, according to the Tom Green County Sheriff’s Office.
Garry Jennings told deputies that his son told him he shot Torrez. Garry said he helped Stephen mop up the blood and dispose of the body, according to court documents.
Navarro allegedly showed a friend cell phone video of a bloody and beaten Torrez tied to a chair.
Wray is accused of babysitting the Jennings’ two kids during the kidnapping and murder.
Kristen Jennings has not been indicted in the murder. But Taylor County Jail records show she is charged with capital murder and engaging in organized crime. He bond is over a million dollars. A bond reduction hearing is scheduled for Oct. 12.
RELATED: Ex-girlfriend of missing Abilene man, 2 others arrested
- Police continuing search for Abilene car chase suspect
- 26 indicted by Taylor County grand jury
- Two indicted for July murder of Abilene teen
- Former Abilene ISD teacher indicted for biting autistic student
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Man being pulled by huskies across U.S. stops in Abilene to raise awareness
- Blankinship's family says they can begin healing after suspect's arrest
- Brownwood murder suspect shared Facebook posts about victim in days after her death
- Sheriff: Brownwood man confesses in church to killing Chantay Blankinship
- Brown County Sheriff: Murder suspect wasn't ‘on radar' until composite sketch released
- Parents of Brownwood murder victim break down in tears when talking about arrest of alleged killer
- 3 arrested in drug bust near Bangs school
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country
- 106-year-old train depot in Snyder torn down
- Superintendent: Student detained after terroristic threat in Hawley ISD
- Wednesday rainfall totals: Big Country areas register up to 1.5 inches of rain