Fire in Abilene evacuates 24 apartments

POSTED: 8:07 AM Nov 21 2012   UPDATED: 9:51 PM Nov 21 2012
ABILENE, Texas -

Abilene firefighters were called to a two-alarm fire at around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday night at the Cottonwood Apartments in Abilene.

The fire started on the balcony and spread into the wall. Firefighters had to tear into the wall to put out the flames.

Lieutenant Greg Goettsch with the Abilene Fire Department said an improperly discarded cigarette caused the fire.

Several buildings, including 24 apartments, were evacuated. 

The damage is estimated to be around $5,000.

No one was injured.