Abilene firefighters now say the danger from a natural gas leak along Highway 80 near Newman Rd. in Abilene has passed.
A vehicle struck an 8" natural gas pipeline and gas was spewing from the line. Residents in east Abilene may have noticed the gas smell.
The leak was caused when a vehicle struck the pipeline. As of 12:08 am Saturday, authorities were still looking for the driver. He was not in the vehicle when rescuers finally were able to approach the vehicle.
The area near the leak is mainly industrial.
Workers from Atmos Energy got the gas to the 8 inch line shut off just before midnight Friday. They said the gas would dissipate within about 30 minutes.
There was no fire or explosion.