ABILENE, Texas - The Texas Leadership Charter Academy of Abilene is in the process of building a million-dollar facility by next fall to offer more junior high classes.
TLCA Principal Carmen Crain said the student enrollment has increased by 35 percent and every year, they add a new class.
"We definitely need a space that those students can grow into and where they can feel like they are part of a middle school or junior high campus rather than being part of an elementary," Crain said.
The school offers kindergarten through 7th grade. The new building will have eight new classrooms and a multi-purpose room. The school will move their 6th and 7th graders to the new building and create a program for 8th graders.
"We have about a million-dollar building, you are looking at a million-dollar impact in this community right here in the heart of Abilene that needs growth and revitalization," said Crain.
The school plans to break ground on the new building in January. Crain said they will be looking into building a high school in the near future.
- Fake City of Abilene Facebook page removed, unclear who took it down
- Texas man killed, hit while walking on Louisiana highway
- Airline boots breast-feeding Texas mom from plane
- Transgender people can enlist in U.S. military Jan. 1, despite Trump opposition
- Snapchat photo of baby in bag leads to Oklahoma couple's arrest
- Shipping deadlines quickly approaching for Christmas
- Abilene police buy presents for 'Operation Blue Santa'
- Abilene house fire leaves $30,000 in damages
- City of Abilene asks public for feedback on Lake Kirby
- City of Abilene receives $18.37 million for smart water meters
- Police pursuit ends with Abilene suspect in custody
Copyright 2017 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Former Brown County teacher arrested for having improper relationship with student
- Brownwood holds its annual Lighted Christmas Parade
- Records: Brown County game warden fired for sending nude photos, racist text messages
- Old Brownwood fire station sold to make way for fast food restaurant
- School zone signs placed near Brown County Christian school
- Pregnant woman who led Brownwood officers on chase indicted
- Stamford's James Washington claims Biletnikoff Award as nation's best receiver
- 27 indicted by Taylor County grand jury
- DPS identifies construction worker killed by 18-wheeler on I-20 in Sweetwater
- Mother of Big Country sexual assault victim speaks out
- Rain hits Big Country, wintry mix in some areas
- Sweetwater teen in critical condition after being hit by pickup