ABILENE, Texas - Abilene Christian University is in the evaluation process of possibly making the jump to NCAA Division I athletics.
ACU Athletic Director Jared Mosely said every four or five years the school likes to evaluate where athletics is in comparison to the whole university.
?Right now, it's just really a sharing of the information and data that we've collected so that over the course of the next several weeks and months, we can make decisions that are appropriate," Mosely explained.
The wildcats have competed in NCAA Division II athletics since 1981.
Mosely knows that if the school were to make the change they would face some challenges, but he does have faith in his athletic program.
?I'm confident that if that was a decision that we were to make that we could compete at a high level there,? Mosely said. ?If you can't compete and get the exposure that you would want to, whether it's Division III, II or I, I don't know if it would make much sense to move from where we're at today."
One student KTXS talked to is afraid that the move could damage the school's reputation.
?To go and be a tiny Division I and probably be up against different competition, we probably wouldn't succeed as well and it wouldn't be good for our name," Brennen McMullin, ACU student, said.
?The goal is to provide quality experience to student athletes and to win championships, so that's got to be a critical piece as we move forward, whatever we decide,? Mosely said.
Besides doing what?s best for the school, Mosely said location is also going to be a deciding factor in ACU?s next move.
?The conference that we're evaluating and comparing with is the Southland Conference, which makes the most sense geographically," Mosely said.
The Southland Conference is made up of Stephen F. Austin, McNeese State, Sam Houston State, Texas State, Central Arkansas, Northwestern State, Nicholls State and Southeastern Louisiana.
If ACU were to make the move to a Division I school, Mosley said he is confident all of their facilities could hold the larger crowds.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated