ABILENE, Texas - A Taylor County grand jury indicted an Abilene man Thursday for capital murder in the death of his ex-girlfriend’s mother.
According to the indictment, unsealed late Thursday afternoon, 38-year-old Michael Eugene Shubert stabbed Debra Jean Helgerson to death on Oct. 28 at her home in the 700 block of Chapparral Circle.
Prosecutors believe the murder was in retaliation for Helgerson testifying against him four days earlier. Helgerson's daughter was seeking a protective order against Shubert.
The murder also happened during the course of a burglary, according to the indictment.
His bond remains $1.75 million.
SHUBERT'S MUGSHOTS --> http://www.ktxs.com/135045892
Shubert was arrested the same day and charged with murder.
KTXS reported in October a witness told police Shubert was “quite unhappy” with Helgerson for testifying against him. Police say Shubert made it known that he planned to kill her.
One of Helgerson’s neighbors reported hearing a scream around 1 or 2 a.m. Friday. Police say that is “consistent with the timing that Shubert indicated that he killed a woman.”
RELATED: Abilene man arrested for murder of ex-girlfriend's mom -> http://www.ktxs.com/134761404
RELATED: Police ID victim in west Abilene homicide -> http://www.ktxs.com/134527841
According to police, Shubert contacted his roommate after the murder and said “he needed a ride because he was going to leave town.” He was concerned that he had blood on him and asked if there was any blood on his face. Shubert asked his roommate to bring a trash bag for his clothes. Shubert also indicated he lost a pair of blue latex gloves at the crime scene.
Police say someone saw Shubert drop the black trash bag with this bloody clothes in a dumpster near the Canterbury Crossing Apartments.
According to court documents, Shubert then told his roommate that “police would be coming for him in the morning” and told her to say he had been with her all night.
- Maine boy who asked for Christmas cards loses battle with cancer
- Texas offers reward in border agent's death
- Della Reese, of TV's 'Touched by an Angel,' has died at 86
- Trump blasts Lynch for sitting during U.S. anthem, standing for Mexican anthem
- 3-2-1, BAM! Georgia Dome imploded in downtown Atlanta
- Love and Care Ministries unloads 13 trailers of donated items
- Abilene police may use DNA-based composites to solve crimes
- Police continuing search for Abilene car chase suspect
- Mission Thanksgiving kicks off for 19th year
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Former Abilene ISD teacher indicted for biting autistic student
- UPDATE: 911 'back up and running' in Brown County
- Blankinship's family says they can begin healing after suspect's arrest
- Pastor describes Ryan Riggs' murder confession at Brownwood church
- Brown County Sheriff: Murder suspect wasn't ‘on radar' until composite sketch released
- Brownwood murder suspect shared Facebook posts about victim in days after her death
- Parents of Brownwood murder victim break down in tears when talking about arrest of alleged killer
- Coleman County house a total loss after weekend fire
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country
- 106-year-old train depot in Snyder torn down
- Superintendent: Student detained after terroristic threat in Hawley ISD