LUBBOCK COUNTY, Texas - An Abilene man is behind bars in Lubbock County after leading police on a four-county chase that ended when he ran out of gas.
According to Lt. Bryan Witt, Texas Department of Public Safety troopers tried to stop Harvey Leon Baxter, 26, for a traffic violation around 9p.m. Saturday on Hwy 84 near the Nolan/Scurry County line.
Baxter, driving a stolen pick-up truck, refused to pull over.
The chase ended about 100 miles later when Baxter ran out of gas between Slaton and Lubbock.
The SWAT team and K-9 division from the Lubbock County Sheriff’s Office were called in to help DPS with the arrest after it was determined that Baxter, a convicted felon, had a firearm inside the vehicle.
Baxter is charged with unauthorized use of motor vehicle, felon in possession of a firearm and felony evading arrest/detention with motor vehicle.
His bond was set at $13,400.
- Abilene Police: Driver in Thanksgiving crash may be charged with intoxication assault
- 1 dead after shootout with Hays County deputies
- Abilene mother, daughter experience Black Friday shopping for first time
- DPS trooper shot dead near Dallas, suspect in custody
- KTXS Forecast: A little cool down for the weekend
- Over 90 Abilene streets receive worst possible condition rating
- Abilene man reportedly bound with tape, forced into trunk at apartment complex
- Abilene man arrested for pointing gun at family, firing, fighting with police
- Judge to decide on motion to toss evidence in Niblo murder case
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- BBB warns of fraudulent shopping sites during Holiday season
- Brownwood fugitive declines extradition for homicide-related charges
- Ex-Brownwood High soccer coach accused of having sex with student pleads guilty, sentenced
- Brownwood woman arrested on homicide-related warrant out of Missouri
- Chantay Blankinship known at club for kind, endearing soul
- Balloon release held to celebrate Chantay Blankinship's birthday
- UPDATE: 911 'back up and running' in Brown County
- Warrant: Murder suspect 'drunk' when he drove over victim at Taylor County ranch
- Goldsboro man, 71, charged with murder at Big Country ranch south of Abilene
- Coleman County house a total loss after weekend fire
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country