Abilene police and firefighters chow down in rib-eating contest for charity
Abilene first responders rolled up their sleeves for a rib-eating contest Saturday afternoon, all for the sake of charity.
Members of the Abilene Police Unity Tour and Abilene Professional Firefighters Association partnered with the Texas Roadhouse to give back to the community. The restaurant will donate 10 percent of all proceeds earned between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. Saturday to two local charities: Meals on Wheels and Coats for Kids.
In a close victory, police beat firefighters in a rib-eating contest by a quarter of a slab.
"We chose Meals on Wheels because its a local charity that I believe this time of year needs a lot of support," Police Officer Joshua Ward said. "Although it's hot, it's not the common time [like] Christmastime or Thanksgiving time that you get a lot of volunteers."
Firefighters competed for the Coats for Kids charity
"We're really fortunate in Abilene that police and firemen have a great relationship," Firefighter Jeremy Wolfe said. "We work together on a lot of scenes and we like to really promote that in public too."
"I feel its important that the community understands that we're also a positive part of the community," Ward said. "It seems like most of the time when you deal with a police officer it's in your worst day, or when you need help with something. We also want to help you on your best day."
Since police won the rib-eating contest, Meals on Wheels will receive 60 percent of the proceeds and Coats for Kids will receive the remaining 40 percent.
Copyright 2013 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.