ABILENE, Texas - Abilene police have identified the victim in Friday's six-vehicle crash on Winters Freeway.
According to an Abilene Police Department social media message, 57-year-old Carlos Garcia of Abilene was killed as a result of the accident.
He was one of at least two motorists taken to the hospital following the wreck. A woman sustained non-life threatening injuries, authorities said.
CRASH PHOTOS -> http://www.ktxs.com/569524426
The accident occurred after 3 p.m. Friday on Winters Freeway at South 7th Street.
At least two motorists were taken to an Abilene hospital -- one with serious injuries -- after a six-vehicle accident on Winters Freeway at South 7th Street on Friday afternoon.
Traffic had to be diverted off Winters Freeway in both directions. The accident occurred after 3 p.m. Southbound lanes reopened at 5:15 p.m.
According to police, a pickup truck headed north on Winters Freeway hit a guardrail. A piece of the guardrail shot into the southbound lanes. It was then hit by a second vehicle, causing a chain reaction crash.
Abilene police say the crash caused a "severe backup."
At least three of the vehicles suffered heavy damage.
KTXS will provide additional details as they become available.
- Over 90 Abilene streets receive worst possible condition rating
- Abilene man reportedly bound with tape, forced into trunk at apartment complex
- Abilene man arrested for pointing gun at family, firing, fighting with police
- Judge to decide on motion to toss evidence in Niblo murder case
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- BBB warns of fraudulent shopping sites during Holiday season
- Brownwood fugitive declines extradition for homicide-related charges
- Ex-Brownwood High soccer coach accused of having sex with student pleads guilty, sentenced
- Brownwood woman arrested on homicide-related warrant out of Missouri
- Chantay Blankinship known at club for kind, endearing soul
- Balloon release held to celebrate Chantay Blankinship's birthday
- UPDATE: 911 'back up and running' in Brown County
- Warrant: Murder suspect 'drunk' when he drove over victim at Taylor County ranch
- Goldsboro man, 71, charged with murder at Big Country ranch south of Abilene
- Coleman County house a total loss after weekend fire
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country