News

Abilene woman flown to Lubbock hospital after officers pull her from burning duplex

Abilene overnight fire

ABILENE, Texas - An Abilene woman is in serious condition at a Lubbock hospital after an early morning duplex fire.

An improperly discarded cigarette ignited the bedding while the woman was asleep at the home in the 1500 block of South Second Street, the Abilene Fire Department said in a news release Thursday.

The fire was reported about 1:30 a.m. Thursday.

Abilene police officers pulled the woman to safety.

According to the fire department, an Abilene Police Department officer was on his routine patrol when he smelled smoke from his vehicle. The officer was able to follow the scent to the South Second Street home. He could then see a glow in the windows. A nearby officer joined in - helping to kick in the front door, and spray down the home with a garden hose, an APD official said.

As the smoke cleared, the officers noticed a woman lying on the floor. Both officers then pulled the woman to safety as the Abilene Fire Department arrived on the scene, the official said.

No structural damage was reported to the home. Damages are estimated at $3,500.

KTXS will continue to update this story.


Recent Headlines

Local Mugshots

Local News -