ABILENE, Texas - One of those hurt in the deadly Las Vegas shooting is from Abilene.
Brandi Garrity was at that concert when the shots rang out and said she saw people die all around her.
Her friends and family members were thankful to find out Monday she survived.
For one of those friends, it all started by reading a startling Facebook post Monday morning.
“It was just shocking,” said Brandi Sitter, Garrity’s friend. “I thought it was a bad joke, but I looked at the news and saw that it wasn’t, and I was terrified, of course, for my friend.”
PHOTOS OF BRANDI: http://www.ktxs.com/629853727
Garrity's Facebook post had a frightening message: "Help me. There are dead people everywhere. I'm hiding. Help me someone please!"
“Well, I cried because I didn't know if she was OK at that point,” Sitter said.
Sitter was finally able to communicate with Garrity by text message Monday afternoon.
Garrity, a mother of three, was right in the middle of the mass shooting. She told Sitter one man was shot while he was trying to help her.
“He was trying to calm her down, and he got shot in the head in front of her,” Sitter said. “She just said it was the most frightening thing she's ever experienced in her life.”
Family members said Garrity was hurt after being trampled, but she'll be OK physically. They said she suffered a broken hand and injuries to her back.
“Her mother told me that she was alive, but that she had been pretty bruised up, and then, of course, mentally her state was fragile as anyone would expect,” Sitter said.
Sitter said she can't wait for her friend to get back home to her family so they all can give her a big hug.
“She said she didn't know how she made it out, and I'm just so thankful that she did, mostly for her children,” Sitter said.
Family members said Garrity flew back to Abilene Monday evening.
- Former Abilene mayor Norm Archibald named 2017 Citizen of the Year
- Police report: $5,000 embezzled from Abilene youth football organization
- Brownwood man sentenced to 20 years in connection with 8-year-old boy's death
- Abilene man, 21, sentenced to 15 years for shooting mother in head
- KTXS Forecast: Light showers possible Friday
- 21 indicted by Taylor County grand jury
- 2 Abilene men indicted for sharing child porn
- Abilene woman arrested after young child tests positive for cocaine, other drugs
- Abilene woman talks about scary moment inside elevator with panhandler
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Abilene woman empowered to share story by #MeToo movement
- Former HPU nursing school dean responds to students' lawsuits
- Samuel Juarez Jr. guilty of manslaughter in death of Brownwood boy
- Ft. Hood soldier who led Brown County deputies on chase turns himself in
- Day 1 wraps for murder trial of Brownwood hit-and-run suspect
- Murder trial begins Tuesday for Brownwood hit-and-run suspect
- Brownwood plant manager: No injuries from minor explosion
- Austin couple arrested in Winters for 234 pounds of marijuana
- Hawley residents blame road conditions on FM 3326 for fatal crash
- Snyder man arrested for indecency with child
- Woodson ISD launches investigation into superintendent's sudden resignation
- Remains found in far West Texas believed to be missing elderly Colorado City woman
- Woodson ISD names new interim superintendent after abrupt resignation