ABILENE, Texas - A former Abilene ISD student is in police custody accused of making a threat.
Police arrested and charged a 16-year-old with False Alarm or Report, which is a State Jail Felony.
The teen allegedly communicated the threat to a current AISD student who told the school resource officer.
The investigation into the threats did not turn up any specific plans to carry them out. The teen was taken to the Juvenile Detention Center, where he remains.
The arrest comes after police addressed rumors circulating on social media sites that referenced a possible school shooting in Abilene this Friday.
Police said they found many postings from other teenagers spreading the rumors, but did not find any specific threat.
They warn that anyone else spreading false information on social media sites could also be arrested.
Police announced Tuesday they will be adding officers to all Abilene and Wylie campuses Friday as a precaution.
- Updated City of Abilene addresses high water bills
- Updated Agency shakeup: 4 regional CPS directors fired, including director of Abilene region
- Updated Abilene police officer murdered one year ago
- Updated Black Texas woman sues after being thrown down amid arrest
- Updated Leaders hold special meeting after 10-year-old girl's gruesome death