AMARILLO, Texas - AMARILLO, Texas (AP) - Authorities said a small plane crash in Amarillo killed two people after plummeting into a field shortly after takeoff.
The crash happened Friday night during high winds in the Texas Panhandle. The Texas Department of Public Safety said the plane went down only 20 miles from the Amarillo airport where pilot Kelly O'Neal stopped to pick up 79-year-old passenger Robert O'Neal.
The cause of the crash remains under investigation.
Authorities said the pilot was from Colorado Springs, Colo. Robert O'Neal was from Amarillo.
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- 7 tornadoes reported Tuesday in Big Country
- DPS identifies 2 killed, 1 injured in Jones County rollover crash
- Exclusive video: Knox County tornado
- 'Witness' in Hamlin murder confesses to deadly shooting
- Tornadoes, hail, flooding: Tuesday's severe storms caught on camera