HOUSTON — An analysis of police records shows at least 32,000 guns have been stolen in the Houston area over the past five years and only 7 percent of the weapons are recovered.
The Houston Chronicle reports Sunday the stolen guns contribute to violent crime and have been responsible for at least 19 area murders.
Houston police have made arrests or identified suspects in only about 8 percent of robberies and burglaries where guns were taken and court records show most of those people have drug or burglary histories.
Houston police spokesman John Cannon acknowledges solving the gun thefts is a "daunting task" in a city of more than 2 million and where more than 100,000 people are arrested each year.
- Calif. lawmakers pass bill inspired by Turner case
- Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- KTXS Forecast: Afternoon hit-or-miss t-shower chances continue
- Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued