HOUSTON — An analysis of police records shows at least 32,000 guns have been stolen in the Houston area over the past five years and only 7 percent of the weapons are recovered.
The Houston Chronicle reports Sunday the stolen guns contribute to violent crime and have been responsible for at least 19 area murders.
Houston police have made arrests or identified suspects in only about 8 percent of robberies and burglaries where guns were taken and court records show most of those people have drug or burglary histories.
Houston police spokesman John Cannon acknowledges solving the gun thefts is a "daunting task" in a city of more than 2 million and where more than 100,000 people are arrested each year.
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- State Rep. submits bill to end Brown Co. Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Texas ag. commisisoner calls for ‘hog apocalypse'
- Abilene City Council chooses water rate study after high bills
- Abilene BBB on high alert for phone scammers claiming to be with IRS