ABILENE, Texas - Four flamingos have died – and fifth one may die – at the Abilene Zoo as a result of Thursday's hailstorm that pelted Abilene.
Three of the flamingos were killed immediately and a fourth died later, a zoo official said Friday.
Also lost during the storm was a crane, said Kelly Thompson, the zoo's marketing director.
On a more positive note, a baby flamingo was born right after the storm, Thompson said.
According to Thompson, the storm came fast – at a time when the flamingos are nesting and zoo leaders didn't want to leave the eggs exposed. That's why the flamingos weren't immediately put into the shelter, Thompson said.
- Abilene trailer park tenants receive water termination notice
- Police investigating north Abilene burglary, witnesses give description
- Man arrested after leading police on chase in north Abilene
- Girl scouts pick up thousands of boxes of cookies for 2017 season
- Gun and knife show returns to Abilene this weekend
- Big Country man recognized with award for act of heroism
- Woman convicted of murdering Abilene police officer files appeal
- DPS identifies 2 arrested after high-speed chase on I-20
- Jury sentences Ranger man to 99 years in prison for mid-2016 murder
- Man jailed in Callahan County after chase, stolen truck crashes into DPS unit