ABILENE, Texas - Four flamingos have died – and fifth one may die – at the Abilene Zoo as a result of Thursday's hailstorm that pelted Abilene.
Three of the flamingos were killed immediately and a fourth died later, a zoo official said Friday.
Also lost during the storm was a crane, said Kelly Thompson, the zoo's marketing director.
On a more positive note, a baby flamingo was born right after the storm, Thompson said.
According to Thompson, the storm came fast – at a time when the flamingos are nesting and zoo leaders didn't want to leave the eggs exposed. That's why the flamingos weren't immediately put into the shelter, Thompson said.
- 17 children adopted at Taylor County Courthouse on Adoption Day
- Texas spirit: How a fatal wreck brought hundreds of cheerleaders together
- Police: 2 Abilene men face federal charges for filming sexual assault of girl, 12
- Lineup announced for 7th annual Outlaws & Legends Music Festival
- Police need help identifying Abilene theft suspect
- Man, 24, killed in Jones County crash
- Reindeer involved in accident near Sweetwater weeks before Christmas
- Fire chief: 10 pigs killed in Sweetwater ISD ag barn fire
- Ranger College's Gillispie announces sudden retirement from coaching
- Brown County: Man receives 10-year sentence for failing to follow through on internet sale