ABILENE, Texas - Four flamingos have died – and fifth one may die – at the Abilene Zoo as a result of Thursday's hailstorm that pelted Abilene.
Three of the flamingos were killed immediately and a fourth died later, a zoo official said Friday.
Also lost during the storm was a crane, said Kelly Thompson, the zoo's marketing director.
On a more positive note, a baby flamingo was born right after the storm, Thompson said.
According to Thompson, the storm came fast – at a time when the flamingos are nesting and zoo leaders didn't want to leave the eggs exposed. That's why the flamingos weren't immediately put into the shelter, Thompson said.
- Updated Flint water crisis: New criminal charges filed
- Updated Police: McDonald's worker in Texas fired for refusing officer service
- Updated Police save Texas robbery suspect from burning car after chase
- Updated Building partially collapses in Hamlin
- Updated Firefighters extinguish garbage truck fire in north Abilene