ABILENE, Texas - Four flamingos have died – and fifth one may die – at the Abilene Zoo as a result of Thursday's hailstorm that pelted Abilene.
Three of the flamingos were killed immediately and a fourth died later, a zoo official said Friday.
Also lost during the storm was a crane, said Kelly Thompson, the zoo's marketing director.
On a more positive note, a baby flamingo was born right after the storm, Thompson said.
According to Thompson, the storm came fast – at a time when the flamingos are nesting and zoo leaders didn't want to leave the eggs exposed. That's why the flamingos weren't immediately put into the shelter, Thompson said.
- Updated Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Abilene Fire Department working house fire on Graham Street
- Enrollment up at Abilene, Wylie school districts
- Video of woman chasing cat on Texas tollway prompts warning
- Perfect strangers perform unforgettable duet at Texas hospital