ABILENE, Texas - A 26-year-old man is being held on $500,000 bond in Taylor County Jail after being arrested Thursday on a warrant for sexual assault of a child.
According to authorities, Jose Ramirez Jr., 26, of Abilene, was arrested and charged with first-degree felony aggravated sexual assault of a child under 17.
According to the arrest warrant, an officer received a call to a Stripes convenience store after receiving a disturbance call on Dec. 2, 2013. The investigation revealed a female child younger than age 17 had been assaulted. She had injuries to her face, lips and nose, and additionally had been sexually assaulted. The female victim was taken to Hendrick Medical Center, where a nurse examined the child, confirming sexual assault, along with a fractured jaw.
The arrest report also states the DNA found identified Ramirez as the suspect. Ramirez's DNA was previously filed in the CODIS system and matched the swab taken from the victim. The victim's description of the suspect also matched Ramirez.
According to the Taylor County Sheriff's Department, Ramirez was arrested for the warrant by Hockley County deputies and then picked up by Taylor County deputies to be transported back to Abilene.
Jail records indicate Ramirez currently lives in Levelland, which is the county seat of Hockley County.
The complaint was filed last week in the 350th District Court.
The investigation was originally conducted by the Abilene Police Department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated