ABILENE, Texas - 5D Custom Hats and Leather has reopened after burning to the ground just two months ago.
5D Custom Hats and Leather was a total loss because of a two-alarm fire that started in an adjacent building at Butternut Square September 18. It took more than six hours for firefighters to put out the fire that destroyed two businesses and a church.
After the fire, 5D Custom Hats and Leather vowed they would reopen their store. They were shocked when fireman Darren Black, who had been fighting the Butternut Square fire, walked up to them as soon as he was relieved from duty and offered the owner of 5D a rent-free space to move their business.
Damon Albus, the owner of 5D Custom Hats and Leather, said they are beyond thankful and happy to be back in business.
The new 5D Custom Hats and Leather store is located at 517 Oak Street.
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting
- Thief climbs in through roof at Abilene High, steals electronics
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Abilene police receive $10,000 donation for new K-9
- Man lunges over counter, takes cash from Abilene convenience store