Driving around I-20 and Highway 277, you may have noticed there's some action at a property that's sat vacant for years. The old Pecan Bend is about to have a whole new life as The Back Porch of Texas.
Mark Powell is a local country singer, songwriter, and now owner of this what will soon be an outdoor concert location unlike any other in the Big Country.
You may remember Powell had been working with the City of Clyde to build the outdoor concert venue. When that deal fell through, Powell decided to go it alone and privately pursue the project. That's when he landed on Pecan Bend.
"When you grow up in Abilene and you see a place that has a lot of trees, you know, hey let's make something out of it," said Powell.
For now, the purpose of the project is the Outlaws and Legends Country Music Fest which will be held March 22nd and 23rd. It's a solid deadline for Powell to meet. By then Pecan Bend will have a concert pavilion and outdoor stage. Folks can bring their lawn chairs, blankets, coolers, and tents to enjoy two days of music and entertainment. Parking will be on the cleared out land on the north end of the property.
Powell hopes the venue will be the beginning of something great for Abilene tourism. "We want people to see Abilene as a place for people to come and put heads in beds and see other attractions but we feel this venue fits our purpose for multiple, a very large population to attend," said Powell.
Merle Haggard is the headlining act for this year's Outlaws and Legends Music Fest, benefiting the Ben Richey Boy's Ranch. After that, Powell hopes to make the venue available for private functions including weddings, and maybe even open up a kid's dude ranch.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated