ABILENE, Texas - An update on the horses from Ranger that were taken by animal services after being found in poor condition.
Animal services said about half of the horses have already been adopted and the rest are improving in health and ready to be taken to new homes.
Timmy Rodela, of Abilene, and his 11-year old daughter Rosie adopted one of the abandoned horses from Ranger.
"He's here for a reason, in this world, and if you want an animal you need to take care of it," Rodela said.
He told KTXS he's been adopting horses for about 10 years, between 15 and 20 in all.
His mission: getting them healthy, and sending them to good homes.
"It's something we enjoy doing as a family," he said.
Rosie even has a rescue horse of her own.
"I'll get them out and I'll play with them," she said.
An employee of the Texas prison system for 20 years, Rodela said caring for and feeding the animals isn't hard.
"We all got a feeding ration that we feed all the animals everyday, everything gets fed and watered," Rodela said. "Our animals eat better than we do, because it's just the love of the animals."
The horse adopted by the Rodela's is the tenth to find a new home.
Abilene's Animal Services said the other nine have been adopted by families in Cisco, Winters and Abilene.
Abilene Animal Services said the remaining horses are in much better condition than when they arrived.
The horses are said to be in "adoptable shape."
Animal services said it's going over a list to find homes for the remaining equines.
- Updated Taylor County woman pleads guilty for injuring her children
- Updated Wanted: Former Abilene day care teacher among 4 being sought
- Lawmakers: Wells Fargo a 'criminal enterprise' like Enron
- Police: Woman, 64, seriously injured in Big Spring disturbance, man arrested
- Texas prison records show more than 330 transgender inmates
- Taylor County woman pleads guilty for injuring her children
- Abilene city manager proposes study of tiered water rates
- Man shot in arm during road rage incident near Abilene
- Man convicted of indecency with a child now arrested in Taylor County
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Sweetwater teacher accused of relationship with student resigns
- Bond reduced for Ranger man accused of murder
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash