ABILENE, Texas - The Cultural Affairs Council, an organization that promotes the arts in Abilene, is supportive of anyone who's interested in purchasing Lincoln Middle School, but ideally would like to see some sort of arts included in any future project.
Abilene is home to many art attractions including: The Paramount Theater, The Center for Contemporary Arts and The Grace Museum just to name a few.
But without the support of the community some of them wouldn't be here today.
"I'm telling you it was real close to being turned into a parking lot," Mayor Norm Archibald said. "I think a lot of people have taken great interest in this school that sits on one of our main thoroughfares."
If Lincoln Middle School includes some type of art facility the Cultural Affairs Council can help, according to Executive Dir. Lynn Barnett.
"We just want to support the effort that's going on to renovate it because it is such a historic building and I think it would be such an asset for downtown to have it," Barnett said.
And the downtown area attracts people, especially because of the arts.
"If the buildings had not been beautifully restored," Barnett said. "I think Abilene's downtown would look a lot more like many of the other downtown areas we see in Texas."
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated