ABILENE, Texas - Wednesday, many from Abilene came together at the Abilene Civic Center to remember the life of longtime Abilene librarian Ricki Val Brown. Friends and co-workers took to the podium to share stories about Brown.
Almost two weeks ago, Abilene lost one of its well-known community members.
Ricki Val Brown, 62, was the library director for the Abilene Public Library for 15 years. She died suddenly on Dec. 5.
Friends and family said Brown will be forever remembered for her love of Abilene. She put a lot into the city and officials hope she got just as much out of it.
"Although she never said it in so many words, she believed in the old adage that there's amazing amount of work you can get done if you don't care who gets the credit … and she was very much like that," said Janis Test, Abilene Public Library's information services manager.
Test, a longtime friend and co-worker of Brown, said she was a leader, a lover of people and always up for adventure.
She will be missed by her employees who said working at the library was more than a job for her.
"She loved doing collection development, which is buying books," Test said. "She loved looking at the new books. She loved selecting the books that she thought people would most like to read."
Officials said the best way of honoring Brown is keeping the library running at its best.
"We will miss her very much, but she was an excellent manager and she taught us well and we'll do what we need to do to still have a top, No. 1, first-class library like we did with her," Test said.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated
- Walter murder trial: 'Formality' in sentencing to call Abilene couple back to court Thursday