ABILENE, Texas - Abilene City Council approved a number of rezoning requests Thursday.
Perhaps the most significant item the council approved was the rezoning of the old 2121 apartments. Those apartments were destroyed by a fire in April of 2003. The land will be used to build a 48-unit elderly housing complex.
Multiple other rezoning requests were approved by the council:
*- Property at 5601 Hwy 77 south and the corner of ES 11th Street and Lytle Way were rezoned for general commercial use.
*- There are planned developments across Hwy 351 from Chick-Fil-A, second phase of Butterfield Meadows neighborhood to be completed and turned into 35 lots, and the third and final phase of a housing development in Wylie Legacy subdivision.
*- The zoning of land at the corner of Curry Lane and Sharon Road to be used to general retail and possible overflow parking for a car dealership. The property at 4102 and 4118 Antilley Road will also be rezoned for general retail.
*- The south side of the 5200 block of Antilley Road to be used for single-family residential zoning.
*- Finally, there will be a partial closure of Campus Court, north of Garfield Avenue to prevent a further connection to the interstate.
- Updated Hot air balloon carrying at least 16 people crashes in Texas
- Updated FAA warned of potential for many hot air balloon deaths
- Updated HBO pressed on sexualized violence in 'Westworld,' other dramas
- New Ex-Texas A&M linebacker, wife killed at their home
- New Army report: Grenade found in room of Dallas gunman in 2014