ABILENE, Texas - A "Streetscape" project to enhance parts of South 1st Street gained approval from the Abilene City Council on Thursday.
The $1.2 million project will mean sidewalks will be reconstructed, medians will be added and landscaping work will be done between Locust and Butternut streets.
It is designed to carry over enhancements that have been done in the north downtown area.
The project still has to garner Texas Department of Transportation approval.
City Engineer Chad Carter work likely won't begin until late this year or early next year.
- Updated Terror attacks overseas affecting Abilene college programs
- Updated EpiPen price hikes causing trouble Abilene families
- Updated Police: Abilene kidnapping suspect threatened to kill victim, family
- Updated Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Updated Olympic gold medalist Simone Biles welcomed home to Texas