ABILENE, Texas - A "Streetscape" project to enhance parts of South 1st Street gained approval from the Abilene City Council on Thursday.
The $1.2 million project will mean sidewalks will be reconstructed, medians will be added and landscaping work will be done between Locust and Butternut streets.
It is designed to carry over enhancements that have been done in the north downtown area.
The project still has to garner Texas Department of Transportation approval.
City Engineer Chad Carter work likely won't begin until late this year or early next year.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated