ABILENE, Texas - The Abilene City Council is asking those attending Thursday's council meeting to bring school supplies for needy students.
Here's the city of Abilene's news release in its entirety:
City Council members are asking those who attend the next City Council meeting to bring school supplies to donate to students in need.
The next City Council meeting is Thursday, August 14, at 8:30 a.m. in the City Council Chambers at City Hall, 555 Walnut Street. Anyone planning to attend is asked to bring school supplies for area children who are preparing to head back to school this month.
"New school supplies are fun and exciting for students who are getting ready to go back to school. Unfortunately, not all children have access to new supplies. We want to share the excitement of new school supplies with children who might not otherwise get to experience that," said Councilman Kyle McAlister.
If a community member wishes to donate, but cannot make the meeting, school supplies can be dropped off at City Hall Thursday, August 14, from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. All supplies collected will be distributed to students in the Abilene and Wylie Independent School Districts.
- 17 children adopted at Taylor County Courthouse on Adoption Day
- Texas spirit: How a fatal wreck brought hundreds of cheerleaders together
- Police: 2 Abilene men face federal charges for filming sexual assault of girl, 12
- Lineup announced for 7th annual Outlaws & Legends Music Festival
- Police need help identifying Abilene theft suspect
- Man, 24, killed in Jones County crash
- Reindeer involved in accident near Sweetwater weeks before Christmas
- Fire chief: 10 pigs killed in Sweetwater ISD ag barn fire
- Ranger College's Gillispie announces sudden retirement from coaching
- Brown County: Man receives 10-year sentence for failing to follow through on internet sale