ABILENE, Texas - The Abilene City Council is asking those attending Thursday's council meeting to bring school supplies for needy students.
Here's the city of Abilene's news release in its entirety:
City Council members are asking those who attend the next City Council meeting to bring school supplies to donate to students in need.
The next City Council meeting is Thursday, August 14, at 8:30 a.m. in the City Council Chambers at City Hall, 555 Walnut Street. Anyone planning to attend is asked to bring school supplies for area children who are preparing to head back to school this month.
"New school supplies are fun and exciting for students who are getting ready to go back to school. Unfortunately, not all children have access to new supplies. We want to share the excitement of new school supplies with children who might not otherwise get to experience that," said Councilman Kyle McAlister.
If a community member wishes to donate, but cannot make the meeting, school supplies can be dropped off at City Hall Thursday, August 14, from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. All supplies collected will be distributed to students in the Abilene and Wylie Independent School Districts.
- Abilene trailer park tenants receive water termination notice
- Police investigating north Abilene burglary, witnesses give description
- Man arrested after leading police on chase in north Abilene
- Girl scouts pick up thousands of boxes of cookies for 2017 season
- Gun and knife show returns to Abilene this weekend
- Big Country man recognized with award for act of heroism
- Woman convicted of murdering Abilene police officer files appeal
- DPS identifies 2 arrested after high-speed chase on I-20
- Jury sentences Ranger man to 99 years in prison for mid-2016 murder
- Man jailed in Callahan County after chase, stolen truck crashes into DPS unit