The Abilene City Council will take up a zoning ordinance requirement for head shops Thursday.
The ordinance deals with where head shops can do business.
Last week, the Planning and Zoning Commission unanimously recommended that head shops only be allowed in commercial or industrial areas.
The shops would not be allowed within 600 feet of churches, parks and hospitals, within 2,500 feet of schools or within 1,000 feet of other head shops.
The city has this on a fast track and this may pass after just one reading before the council. City Manager Larry Gilley said the city charter allows that.
- Updated Rio Olympics: Is Brazil ready for the 2016 Games?
- Updated Hot air balloon carrying at least 16 people crashes in Texas
- Updated FAA warned of potential for many hot air balloon deaths
- Updated Ex-Texas A&M linebacker, wife killed at their home
- Updated Melissa Valdez: Triple digit temperatures return to the forecast