The Abilene City Council agreed to expand planned development district zoning for a project at the site of the former Anson Jones Elementary School near Interstate 20.
Property owner Sam Daggubati has plans to build an Indian Cultural Center at the location on Jameson Street.
He also wants to open two hotels, an apartment complex, restaurant and convenience store.
Zoning for that was approved in 2007 but Daggubati was requesting to expand it.
- Rose Park aquatic center to open this summer
- Abilene City Council to consider payday loan restrictions
- Major businesses push back against Texas' proposed bathroom bill
- Dashcam video of San Angelo councilman's altercation with police released
- Updated Abilene parents offer to pay for after-school programs