ABILENE, Texas - The Abilene City Council decided that whether or not to make changes to the sidewalk ordinance will go to a public hearing.
One of the amendments in question is giving developers the option of building sidewalks in the new neighborhoods.
History has shown that most developers choose not to build sidewalks in order to avoid extra costs.
The city adopted the sidewalk ordinance in 2006 to make Abilene more walkable and friendly to pedestrians.
City staff said allowing developers the option is a big step backwards.
The public hearing on this issue is scheduled for March 27.
- Updated Abilene man charged with criminally negligent homicide in fiery 2014 crash
- Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Surgeon general warns doctors on opioid epidemic
- Texas promised to track oilfield waste in aquifers. It didn't
- Police: Abilene kidnapping suspect threatened to kill victim, family