ABILENE, Texas - Despite a pending felony sexual assault case against him, a Cooper High School student has been allowed back on the football team.
Cordell Dorsey, 18, was arrested in August on a first-degree felony aggravated sexual assault of a child charge. According to an arrest report, the alleged victim was an 11-year-old girl who claimed Dorsey had molested her every weekend over the summer up until the end of July.
According to the Taylor County District Attorney's office, the case against Dorsey is still active and awaiting grand jury. Once his case goes to the grand jury, jurors will decide whether the case will be pursued or whether the charge will be dropped. David Thedford, his court-appointed attorney, told KTXS the case is active; however, it is not yet ready to be presented to a grand jury.
Dorsey, who plays defensive back for the 5A Cougars, is a top prospect who committed to play for the No. 4-ranked Baylor Bears earlier this year.
Shortly after his arrest, AISD Superintendent Heath Burns said Dorsey had been suspended from the football field indefinitely.
KTXS contacted Abilene ISD Communications Director Phil Ashby Monday. He confirmed Dorsey has been reinstated to the Cooper High football team and released this statement:
"Federal Privacy law prevents us from discussing any student's disciplinary record or alternative campus placements. However, we can certainly confirm that every student athlete playing in Abilene ISD is enrolled in good standing and attending in the campus being represented, consistent with UIL guidelines. As for Cordell Dorsey, he is an active member of the Cooper team."
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated