ABILENE, Texas - Billy Cunningham of Arlington Seguin High School has been named the new varsity boys basketball coach of the Cooper Cougars, CHS athletic coordinator Todd Moebes announced.
An assistant coach at Seguin since 2008, Cunningham assumes the duties previously held by Marc Case, who was reassigned within the district at the conclusion of the 2013-14 season.
Cunningham assisted in rebuilding a Seguin program into a state-ranked Class 4A regional finalist in 2012-13 and a playoff team in 2013-14.
Prior to his time in Seguin, he served as the varsity assistant at Dallas Skyline to legendary coach J.D. Mayo, who has won more than 700 games in his career. Cunningham also served on the staff at Garland High School after his graduation from the University of North Texas in 2004.
Cunningham has educator certifications in Social Studies, Special Education and Physical Education.
Information for this story provided by Cooper Athletics.
- Updated Video of woman chasing cat on Texas tollway prompts warning
- Updated Perfect strangers perform unforgettable duet at Texas hospital
- Updated Abilene man, 32, sentenced to 18 years for June 2014 shooting death
- Updated New Mexico governor: 10-year-old girl's death worst she's seen
- Updated Texas man charged with beheading wife after police visit