ABILENE, Texas - Billy Cunningham of Arlington Seguin High School has been named the new varsity boys basketball coach of the Cooper Cougars, CHS athletic coordinator Todd Moebes announced.
An assistant coach at Seguin since 2008, Cunningham assumes the duties previously held by Marc Case, who was reassigned within the district at the conclusion of the 2013-14 season.
Cunningham assisted in rebuilding a Seguin program into a state-ranked Class 4A regional finalist in 2012-13 and a playoff team in 2013-14.
Prior to his time in Seguin, he served as the varsity assistant at Dallas Skyline to legendary coach J.D. Mayo, who has won more than 700 games in his career. Cunningham also served on the staff at Garland High School after his graduation from the University of North Texas in 2004.
Cunningham has educator certifications in Social Studies, Special Education and Physical Education.
Information for this story provided by Cooper Athletics.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated