ABILENE, Texas - The Abilene City Council has approved the Cobb Park revitalization plan and hiring an architectural firm for Lincoln Middle School.
The Cobb Park revitalization plan will spruce up the area near Abilene High School.
Moving forward with the revitalization plan makes the chances better for the Abilene Housing Authority to get a tax credit.
The tax credit could bring two new, affordable housing units to the area.
One housing unit would be built at 2121 N. 6th St. and the other would be built at North 6th and Mockingbird.
Meanwhile, the City Council is also moving forward with finding a way to best re-purpose Lincoln Middle School.
Ownership of the school has been transferred from the Abilene Independent School District to the city.
The council voted to hire an architectural firm to help come up with a design presentation and a construction budget.
There's no word yet on exactly how the old school building will be reused, but the city wants to preserve its "historical integrity."
The council also approved allowing the Abilene Police Department to file an application for a grant.
The APD is wanting the grant so they can buy a modern target system for their firing range.
The new target system would have movement capabilities and will replace the one they're currently using.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated