ABILENE, Texas - The city's sidewalk ordinance and its emergency communications systems are among items that the Abilene City Council is slated to discuss this week.
After receiving a large number of waivers, the council has decided to discuss whether or not to make changes to the sidewalk ordinance.
Some changes could be whether sidewalk construction can be deferred based on whether the construction is near a rural or Texas Department of Transportation roadway or if no other street improvements are needed.
The city is also considering upgrading its emergency communications systems because they are in need of a major software update.
Also, the radios that are currently being used are nearing the end of their life cycles and federal and state regulations continue to evolve at a fast pace, leading to constantly changing public safety standards.
- Hillary Clinton's challenge: Igniting excitement
- Updated Building partially collapses in Hamlin
- Updated 3 Big Country hospitals receive high marks from federal government
- Updated Abilenians sought for curbside recycling program, deadline Monday
- Updated Texas sales tax holiday set for first weekend of August