ABILENE, Texas - The city's sidewalk ordinance and its emergency communications systems are among items that the Abilene City Council is slated to discuss this week.
After receiving a large number of waivers, the council has decided to discuss whether or not to make changes to the sidewalk ordinance.
Some changes could be whether sidewalk construction can be deferred based on whether the construction is near a rural or Texas Department of Transportation roadway or if no other street improvements are needed.
The city is also considering upgrading its emergency communications systems because they are in need of a major software update.
Also, the radios that are currently being used are nearing the end of their life cycles and federal and state regulations continue to evolve at a fast pace, leading to constantly changing public safety standards.
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash