ABILENE, Texas - The city's sidewalk ordinance and its emergency communications systems are among items that the Abilene City Council is slated to discuss this week.
After receiving a large number of waivers, the council has decided to discuss whether or not to make changes to the sidewalk ordinance.
Some changes could be whether sidewalk construction can be deferred based on whether the construction is near a rural or Texas Department of Transportation roadway or if no other street improvements are needed.
The city is also considering upgrading its emergency communications systems because they are in need of a major software update.
Also, the radios that are currently being used are nearing the end of their life cycles and federal and state regulations continue to evolve at a fast pace, leading to constantly changing public safety standards.
- Updated Abilene man charged with criminally negligent homicide in fiery 2014 crash
- Updated Abilene non-profit raising money with rappelling event
- Updated Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Updated Surgeon general warns doctors on opioid epidemic
- Updated Texas promised to track oilfield waste in aquifers. It didn't