ABILENE, Texas - The city's sidewalk ordinance and its emergency communications systems are among items that the Abilene City Council is slated to discuss this week.
After receiving a large number of waivers, the council has decided to discuss whether or not to make changes to the sidewalk ordinance.
Some changes could be whether sidewalk construction can be deferred based on whether the construction is near a rural or Texas Department of Transportation roadway or if no other street improvements are needed.
The city is also considering upgrading its emergency communications systems because they are in need of a major software update.
Also, the radios that are currently being used are nearing the end of their life cycles and federal and state regulations continue to evolve at a fast pace, leading to constantly changing public safety standards.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated