ABILENE, Texas - A family of seven is without a place to live after a fire destroyed their home on West Lake Road late last week.
Lon Davis, who lived at the home with his wife and five kids, said while no one was home during the time of the fire, his family lost almost everything they owned.
"There's no not thinking about it," Davis said. "Right now that's all I can think about. There are things that were lost that we're never gonna get back."
Days after Thursday's early morning fire, the family is trying to pick up the pieces of their life, while making sure their kids, ranging from ages five to 13, don't have to go without essentials.
"Right now first priority is getting clothes for the kids, trying to get some kind of normalcy back in their lives," Davis said.
Davis said he's surprised and grateful that the community has come together to help him and his family in their time of need.
"The support has come from everywhere," Davis said. "It's come from friends, family, church, work, people we don't even know have either helped or offered to help."
If you would like to donate money or materials to the Davis family, they have a bank account set up at Abilene Teachers Federal Credit Union.
- August 2016 ties August 1914 as wettest in Texas
- City of Abilene receives 2,000+ complaints or comments about water bills
- Updated Abilene requests proposals for new downtown hotel and 'festival district'
- Shuttle bus rear-ended at Boston airport, killing 2 Texans
- Agency shakeup: 4 regional CPS directors fired, including director of Abilene region
- Paint Creek reacts to Perry's Dancing with the Stars casting
- Businesses near Big Country lakes hoping for big Labor Day turnout
- Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Hunters, Abilene charity anticipate start of dove hunting season
- 2 injured in DWI crash in Early, man arrested