ABILENE, Texas - A 60-year-old man is in critical condition Friday after his son allegedly shot him twice Thursday morning.
The incident occurred around 3:30 a.m. Thursday in the 2800 block of South 22nd Street.
Abilene Police Officer Willie Ford said police arrived to find Juan Rodriguez, the suspect's father, with a gunshot wound to the back of his shoulder and hand.
A woman on the scene told police her son, Jonathan Rodriquez, came home and began acting "out of character," possibly under the influence of substance. The mother said he then began to argue with her, pulled out a pistol, and fired three shots.
Police report a struggle ensued while attempting to take the suspect into custody. Ford said an officer was taken to a hospital with a shoulder injury. The officer was treated and released.
Juan Rodriguez was taken to Hendrick Medical Center. Jonathan Rodriquez was detained and taken to jail where he is being held on charges of aggravated assault and family violence. He also faces drug charges and is jailed on $175,000 total bond.
- Manhunt underway in Sweetwater after attempted traffic stop
- Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend
- KTXS Forecast: Drier and warmer weather for most to finish the work week
- Abilene residents weigh in on 25 years of the World Wide Web