ABILENE, Texas - The 4th of July fireworks in Abilene will be on Wednesday night, July 3. The 3rd Annual Westex Connect Fireworks Spectacular will be held at Nelson Park beginning at 6:30 p.m.
Admission to the festival events is $15 for adults, $10 for ages 6 - 12, and kids 5 and under get in free. Includes admission to the zoo, Sharon's BBQ plate & drink, & entrance to Festival of Gardens.
Lawn chairs, blankets, etc welcome in Festival of Gardens. Parking Pass required for reserved parking $20 with minimum of the purchase of two adult tickets or $35 parking only.
The fireworks should begin at 10 p.m.
Most City of Abilene offices and community service centers will be closed on Thursday, July 4 in observance of the Independence Day holiday with the exception of first responders providing life safety services from the Fire Department and Police Department.
The Abilene Animal Shelter will be closed July 4. Citizens with an Animal Control emergency may call the Abilene Police Department at 325-673-8331 and an Animal Services Officer will be available to respond. The Animal Shelter will re-open on Friday, July 5 at 10:30 a.m. to resume normal business hours.
Solid Waste Services division offices will not be open July 4 but all commercial and residential container collection will run on regular schedules. There will be no bulk and brush collection on July 4, those scheduled collections will continue on July 5. The Environmental Recycling Center will also be closed for the holiday.
CityLink will not run fixed routes and paratransit service on July 4. The CityLink office will be closed on July 4 as well. Only medical transportation trips will be scheduled that day.
The Municipal Court will also be closed on July 4. All citations due July 4 will be due on July 5 with no penalty.
The Abilene Zoo will be open to the public during regular hours from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., last admission at 4:30 p.m.
The Water Services Center, 701 E. Hwy. 80, will be open on July 4, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., to take delinquent payments for customers whose water has been turned off and for new customers needing water service. For water emergencies, sewer problems and reports of water conservation ordinance violations, citizens may call the Water Services Center's emergency hotline, 325-676-6000, seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
Other City closings on July 4 include: City Hall, Abilene-Taylor County Public Health District, and all Abilene Public Library locations, Abilene Civic Center, the Development Corporation of Abilene, the Airport Administration Office and City Recreation and Senior Citizen centers.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated