ABILENE, Texas - Abilene Christian University's Honors College awarded two Abilene High and two Cooper High School students with full tuition scholarships, marking the third year the honors college has given them out.
The scholarship is worth more than $100,000. Abilene High band students Laura Churchill and Jackson Puybus said the financial gifts were more than welcome.
"You feel extra special," Churchill said. "I wasn't expecting that big of a deal. They came and personally handed it to me and Jackson in front of everyone in band and kind of embarrassed us a little bit."
"It's good to know that working hard in academics pays off just as much as anything else," Pybus said.
Just an hour later ACU made a similar announcement across town at Cooper High School greeting two more seniors, seniors Wyatt Thompson and Denver Gravitt.
"We go through class all day and teachers still complain about having to pay for college – and it's amazing just to have this opportunity to not have to do that," Thompson said.
"If scholarships didn't happen, then I would just have to take out college loans," Gravitt said.
"It's always fun to present the award to explain to them how big the award is and see their eyes sort of light up, because it does create opportunities and possibilities for them." ACU Honors College Dean Stephen Johnson said.
Thompson said he already has plans for what he will do if he takes the award.
"Everything I can," Thompson said. "Change the world."
Tuition is roughly $28,000 per year, which covers 36 credit hours. The overall cost of an ACU education is roughly $36,000 per year including room and board. ACU will award dozens more students full tuition scholarships at 10 more high schools in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated