ABILENE, Texas - Cory Almanza, a 17-year old Abilene High football player who was critically injured in a crash in May, has awakened from a coma.
Almanza's mother Ruby Flores tells KTXS he began to regain consciousness on Sunday afternoon. He can recognize faces, but cannot speak, she said.
Almanza was one of three Abilene High football players involved in an accident with a city refuse truck on May 5. The other two occupants of the vehicle were hospitalized but quickly recovered.
Almanza was released from Hendrick Medical Center, still comatose, on June 26, his mother said.
Flores said Almanza has started physical therapy this week to relearn how to use his arms and legs.
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- State Rep. submits bill to end Brown Co. Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Texas ag. commisisoner calls for ‘hog apocalypse'
- Abilene City Council chooses water rate study after high bills
- Abilene BBB on high alert for phone scammers claiming to be with IRS