ABILENE, Texas - Last year set a record for the Abilene housing market.
The Abilene Association of Realtors said 2015 was one of the strongest years in recent history for the number of houses sold and the median price per home.
In 2015, 1,629 homes were sold in Abilene, beating the 1,443 homes sold in 2014.
Last year, the median home price was around $149,000, and statewide that number was $195,000.
Judy Harris, the President of the Abilene Association of Realtors said though prices are up, other parts of the state are still higher.
"I understand that housing is a big part of someone's budget but when you look at our prices compared to other areas around the state it's still very affordable," said Harris. "With the interest rates being very low you can buy a lot more house today then you could with the interest rates higher as they were previously."
In real estate, it's all about balance and Harris said Abilene has that.
"It's interesting that the days on the market are shorter but yet they're still an adequate inventory supply," said Harris. "In other words even though they're selling quicker there are still homes available so it's really a good balance between buyers and sellers."
Harris said 2016 is shaping up to be a steady year for home sales.
- Update: Abilene police find missing ‘mentally challenged' man
- TxDOT: Hwy 351 at I-20 now 'fully' open to traffic
- Warrant: Abilene man used cell phone to force girl into sex for 4 years
- Abilene police: Elderly man paid to watch, have sex with teens
- Prostitution bust at north Abilene massage parlor
- Abilene police arrest Grinch who tried to steal Christmas
- Man arrested in Brownwood's largest meth bust gets indicted
- City of Early declines using taxpayer funds to pay for lobbyist
- Thousands of toys and dollars collected at Brownwood toy drive
- Brownwood approves retaining a lobbyist after 2 people speak up against it
- Ranger College releases settlement with former professor over sexual harassment allegations
- Brown County veteran being sued by hospital for unpaid fees
- Snow in Abilene & the Big Country for Christmas? Maybe, maybe not
- Clyde man indicted for sexual assault
- Dallas Cowboys apologize to Coleman family for mistreatment of their handicapped daughter
- Big County couple says AT&T Stadium mistreated their handicapped daughter
- 1 killed, 2 injured in I-20 crash near Colorado City
- After 5-1 school board vote, Chris Hagler's contract renewed with Anson