Abilene Idol kicked off Saturday in downtown. Monique Rosario Goff won first place.
The singing competition began at 7 p.m. at the Paramount Theater.
The 15 contestants are selected from the 100 people who auditioned March 2. The winner will be selected by a panel of four judges, post-event audience votes and votes cast before the event.
Goff will receive $500 dollars; the runner up will receive $300 and third place will receive $100.
- H-E-B donates $2,500 to The Food Bank of West Central Texas
- CityLink bus fare increases passed by Abilene City Council
- Abilene City Council responds to audit requests over water bills
- Truck flips after being T-boned in downtown Abilene
- Guardian claims disabled Abilene woman had $200,000 stolen from account