ABILENE, TEXAS - Big changes are coming to several Abilene Independent School District campuses.
On Monday evening the school board approved a bid to build a new main building at Bowie elementary.
Trustees also approved parking and driveway improvements for three other AISD schools.
The Bowie Elementary project will be a $7 million year long project. The new elementary school will replace the old one. After the new school is built, they'll tear down the old campus.
AISD says they are thrilled to put students in better classrooms.
"Of course at Bowie we're just excited to get rid of the old 1952 building that we've been in," said AISD construction coordinator Joe Humphrey. "We can't wait to move students in the new building a year from now."
The Bowie Elementary project is a two phased job.
"The first thing we have to do at Bowie is complete the new building," said Humphrey. "Then we have to move items out of the old building into the new building."
The paving and drives at Abilene High, Reagan and Jackson elementary schools have not been addressed in years. Officials told KTXS it was just time to make it easier for students and parents.
"I think this will be a noticeable change for traffic, said Humphrey. "It will make it safer for students and parents doing pick ups at those locations.
They hope to be done with the new parking lots by the time school starts.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer