ABILENE, Texas - Plans for Bowie and Fannin elementary schools became a focus of Monday's Abilene ISD board meeting.
During June, the city of Abilene agreed to swap 4.51 acres of park space near Bowie in exchange for almost six acres of land close to the former Fannin Elementary school. Fannin closed at the end of last school year.
One reason AISD made the trade was to own the entire lot that Bowie occupies. The swap also gives the district the freedom to plan future projects for the school.
"(This presents) the opportunity to improve the safety and security immediately around Bowie and again the potential for future expansion at Bowie if that's what the committee decides to do," Abilene ISD Associate Superintendent of Operations Scott McLean said.
The final switch of land will take place once land deeds are signed and exchanged between the school district and the city.
Bowie was built in 1951. It's one of several elementary schools built in the 1950s. It's also a prime target for improving infrastructure in and around the school.
"They don't build schools the same now as they did," McLean said. "The components of the schools, the way the space is allocated, maybe certain security features or lack thereof" are under review in the master facilities plan.
Fannin will continue to be used for AISD for storage until they sell the property. A citizen group is advising trustees on the district facilities. The group suggested a joining a bond proposal with the money to be used for fixing up schools. The bond election could come as early as November.
The board also discussed reasons for proposing the bond election in November 2013 versus May 2014. If the board elects to join the November ballot, they can take advantage of lower prices and interest rates on labor and materials.
- Updated Taylor County woman pleads guilty for injuring her children
- Updated Wanted: Former Abilene day care teacher among 4 being sought
- Lawmakers: Wells Fargo a 'criminal enterprise' like Enron
- Police: Woman, 64, seriously injured in Big Spring disturbance, man arrested
- Texas prison records show more than 330 transgender inmates
- Taylor County woman pleads guilty for injuring her children
- Abilene city manager proposes study of tiered water rates
- Man shot in arm during road rage incident near Abilene
- Man convicted of indecency with a child now arrested in Taylor County
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Sweetwater teacher accused of relationship with student resigns
- Bond reduced for Ranger man accused of murder
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash