ABILENE, Texas - Schools throughout the Big Country are closed today - including in Abilene ISD, Wylie ISD and Brownwood ISD - amid wintry conditions.
Abilene's three universities - Abilene Christian University, Hardin-Simmons University and McMurry University - are also closed today due to icy weather.
Other schools closed in the Big Country include:
*- Abilene Christian Schools
*- Baird ISD
*- Ballinger ISD
*- Bangs ISD
*- Blanket ISD
*- Bronte ISD
*- Brookesmith ISD
*- Cisco College
*- Cisco College - Abilene
*- Cisco ISD
*- Clyde ISD
*- Coleman ISD
*- Comanche ISD
*- Cross Plains ISD
*- DeLeon ISD
*- Early ISD
*- Eastland ISD
*- Eden CISD
*- Eula ISD
*- Jim Ned CISD
*- May ISD
*- Moran ISD
*- Paint Creek ISD
*- Paint Rock ISD
*- Premier High School:
*- Ranger ISD
*- Rising Star ISD
*- Robert Lee ISD
*- Santa Anna ISD
*- St. John's Episcopal School
*- Sterling City ISD
*- TSTC – Abilene
*- TSTC – Brownwood
Meanwhile, the weather has slowed traffic around the state and contributed to an emergency responder's death.
Officials say a Dallas firefighter died Monday night after falling from an icy highway overpass while crews responded to a traffic accident. The victim was William Tanksley.
The University of Texas at Austin and Texas State University in San Marcos pushed back the start of classes until 10 a.m. CST due to winter weather.
Dallas-based electric utility Oncor on Monday reported about 900 outages in North Texas, mainly in the Watauga area.
The National Weather Service has issued a winter weather advisory for parts of North and West Texas until 6 p.m. Tuesday.
Forecasters issued a winter weather advisory for sections of East Texas through 6 a.m. Wednesday.
- 6 cows killed, deputy hurt in suspected drunk driving crash
- Residents of community near Snyder report not having water since Wednesday
- Texas wife sentenced to prison for killing officer husband
- Kidnapped Border Patrol agent says he feared for family
- 3-year-old boy dies after he's found in hot car in Texas
- State cornhole championship held in Abilene
- 5 car wreck on Winters Freeway, 1 injured
- 24-hour amateur radio field day taking place this weekend
- 2 taken to Abilene hospital after vehicle strikes go-kart
- CityLink addresses driver shortage with pay bump
- Friends of the Library raises over $60,000 at annual Abilene book sale
- Amputee golf tournament taking place at Lake Brownwood
- Owner of Brownwood restaurant and motel disputes $97,000 fine for health violations
- Budget shortfall affecting maintenance at Texas state parks
- Brownwood ISD, emergency agencies conduct response drills
- Early ISD continuing research on proposal to arm teachers, staff
- 4th of July celebrations around the Big Country
- Area's best showcase their stuff in the State Lineman Challenge
- Train derailed by strong winds in Mitchell County
- More than 100 barrels of oil stolen from Nolan County drilling company
- Brownwood battles heat, snags 7-on-7 state spot in duel with Merkel
- Wanted Wednesday: Abilene police looking for 2 capital murder suspects
- Police arrest 2 Abilene men for stealing car, breaking into 'numerous' vehicles in Merkel