ABILENE, Texas - Schools throughout the Big Country are closed today - including in Abilene ISD, Wylie ISD and Brownwood ISD - amid wintry conditions.
Abilene's three universities - Abilene Christian University, Hardin-Simmons University and McMurry University - are also closed today due to icy weather.
Other schools closed in the Big Country include:
*- Abilene Christian Schools
*- Baird ISD
*- Ballinger ISD
*- Bangs ISD
*- Blanket ISD
*- Bronte ISD
*- Brookesmith ISD
*- Cisco College
*- Cisco College - Abilene
*- Cisco ISD
*- Clyde ISD
*- Coleman ISD
*- Comanche ISD
*- Cross Plains ISD
*- DeLeon ISD
*- Early ISD
*- Eastland ISD
*- Eden CISD
*- Eula ISD
*- Jim Ned CISD
*- May ISD
*- Moran ISD
*- Paint Creek ISD
*- Paint Rock ISD
*- Premier High School:
*- Ranger ISD
*- Rising Star ISD
*- Robert Lee ISD
*- Santa Anna ISD
*- St. John's Episcopal School
*- Sterling City ISD
*- TSTC – Abilene
*- TSTC – Brownwood
Meanwhile, the weather has slowed traffic around the state and contributed to an emergency responder's death.
Officials say a Dallas firefighter died Monday night after falling from an icy highway overpass while crews responded to a traffic accident. The victim was William Tanksley.
The University of Texas at Austin and Texas State University in San Marcos pushed back the start of classes until 10 a.m. CST due to winter weather.
Dallas-based electric utility Oncor on Monday reported about 900 outages in North Texas, mainly in the Watauga area.
The National Weather Service has issued a winter weather advisory for parts of North and West Texas until 6 p.m. Tuesday.
Forecasters issued a winter weather advisory for sections of East Texas through 6 a.m. Wednesday.
- Texas Senate to vote on bill to fund downtown Abilene hotel
- Abilene splash pads to open for summer Wednesday
- Early voting can have significant impact on elections
- 18-wheeler carrying sheet rock flips on Abilene highway
- Abilene City Council asking for public input during special meeting
- Survey of Abilene homeless population shows increase in numbers
- Brown County police chief disgusted Brownwood man's sentence was shortened
- RadioShack latest victim in wave of corporate closures in Brownwood
- Brownwood man commuted by President Obama released from jail on Tuesday
- Police: Brownwood man wasn't victim of drive-by shooting, instead shot himself
- Brown County commissioners approve reducing speed limit on CC Woodson Road
- Brown County political forum scheduled for Tuesday night
- Coleman County voters to decide on $9.1 million bond for new LEC
- Breckenridge woman killed in rollover crash
- Zephyr ISD approves new football turf amid ongoing litigation
- Albany City Councilman gets 10 years of probation for indecency with child
- Students honor Snyder High School math teacher killed in West Texas crash
- Hwy 84/183 in Brown County reopened after 2-hour delay