ABILENE, Texas - An Abilene man was arrested Friday night after he allegedly ran away from police when he was caught trying to steal a car.
According to an arrest report, officers saw 24-year-old John Callaway looking into cars on Corsicana Avenue and Cicily Lane around 8:10 p.m. Friday. Officers said Callaway was later found sitting inside a car near the 2300 block of Cicily Lane.
When officers approached Callaway, he allegedly got out of the car and ran away—jumping fences as he ran. Officers eventually caught up with him and arrested him.
As of Sunday, Callaway is in the Taylor County Jail on $4,000 total bond for class A evading arrest and class A attempted theft of a motor vehicle.
- Updated Police: Suspect in shooting near Texas strip mall is dead, 9 wounded
- Updated Jury selection begins today for brutal late 2014 Abilene murder
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend
- New color spreading through downtown Abilene
- Golfing great Arnold Palmer dead at 87