ABILENE, Texas - An Abilene man was arrested Friday night after he allegedly ran away from police when he was caught trying to steal a car.
According to an arrest report, officers saw 24-year-old John Callaway looking into cars on Corsicana Avenue and Cicily Lane around 8:10 p.m. Friday. Officers said Callaway was later found sitting inside a car near the 2300 block of Cicily Lane.
When officers approached Callaway, he allegedly got out of the car and ran away—jumping fences as he ran. Officers eventually caught up with him and arrested him.
As of Sunday, Callaway is in the Taylor County Jail on $4,000 total bond for class A evading arrest and class A attempted theft of a motor vehicle.
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Police: Chase from Amarillo ends with shooting in New Mexico
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer