ABILENE, Texas - An 29-year-old Abilene man was charged with cruelty to a non-livestock animal Thursday after allegedly allowing his now deceased puppy to starve.
Below is a press release from the Abilene Police Department regarding the investigation:
"Thursday afternoon, August 8, 2013, Terry D. Sargent (DOB: 06/23/84) was arrested for the offense of felony Cruelty to Non-livestock Animal. Yesterday's arrest was the culmination into an investigation that was initiated on March 2, 2013. On March 2nd, Animal Services officers responded to a residence in the 2400 block of Russell Avenue concerning a report by a concerned citizen. The preliminary investigation by Animal Services confirmed the allegations—one small Chihuahua was loose in the yard and the other dog (mixed breed) was found dead inside a kennel with no food or water. Animal Services seized both dogs and reported the initial findings to the Abilene Police Department.
After conducting their initial investigation, Animal Services Officer Luis Sanchez contacted Detective Ernie Moscarelli of the Criminal Investigation Division who assumed responsibility for the criminal investigation. The investigation revealed that the dead dog was approximately three to four months old at the time of the necropsy. The veterinarian reported that the animal was emaciated and appeared to have died of starvation.
On August 8th Terry Sargent was interviewed at the Law Enforcement Center. The investigation revealed that Sargent had failed to provide the dog food or water necessary for its survivability and knew it had been confined in its kennel. This caused the animal unjustified and unwarranted pain and suffering.
Terry Sargent was booked at the Taylor County Jail with a bond of $2,000.
The Chihuahua was adopted by a new family."
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated