ABILENE, Texas - An Abilene woman was sentenced to two years in prison Thursday for selling her newborn to another woman for $2,000.
According to court records, 30-year-old Joanna Delacruz sold her baby to 29-year-old Marilu Munoz after the baby was born in September 2011.
Police officers said she admitted to the sale and also to using Munoz's name and personal information to apply for Medicaid benefits. According to police, Delacruz went straight to Munoz's home after she was discharged from the hospital and told her "here, the baby is yours."
Munoz is currently serving probation after she was sentenced to seven years deferred adjudication in July 2012.
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Reward offered for killer of 8-year-old Texas girl
- Hardin-Simmons to host regional in Division III basketball tournament
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program