From a city of Abilene news release:
The Mayor's Council on Physical Fitness invites citizens to take 10 minutes towards a healthier lifestyle by participating in "Abilene on the Move" day Friday, Oct. 12. It is a day for families, individuals, groups, businesses and schools to take part in an activity that gets people moving.
"Beginning an active lifestyle can start with a simple ten minute walk," said Mayor Norm Archibald. "Abilene on the Move" day is your chance to start living a healthy and physically fit life."
Planned activities include City of Abilene employees joining Mayor Norm Archibald in a ten minute walk at 10 a.m. from City Hall and the Abilene Independent School District holding walking events at various times at participating schools.
Participate in "Abilene on the Move" day by:
• Walking the track at a local park
• Taking a ten-minute walk during break time or lunch
• Walking around your neighborhood
• Joining your child at the school track during their PE period
Schools and businesses are encouraged to organize an activity. Some examples are:
• Take a ten-minute walking break on October 12 at 10 a.m.
• Challenge your co-workers and/or departments to step out on the 12th and walk the block around your worksite
• Schools: Make October 12th your wellness day in PE. Invite parents and teachers to join students in walking the track during their PE class
If 10 a.m. is not a convenient time to take part in an activity, you are encouraged to schedule a time when it best fits into your day.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer